To enjoy your golden years to the fullest, you need to take good care of your health. Senior health and wellness are some of the most important components of quality of life throughout retirement. As life spans have increased, the need for community resources for seniors has grown. Taking full advantage of these health resources for seniors can help you stay happy, healthy, and active throughout your life.
At SeniorSmart, we believe that maintaining optimal senior health and wellness is the key to enjoying this new chapter of your life. Feeling your best can help you to get the most out of your well-deserved retirement. To learn more about free health resources for seniors in your area, call us today at 833.303.0983.
Community Resources for Seniors That Support Health and Wellness
Senior health and wellness are about more than getting check-ups with your local doctor. By taking good care of your mind and body, you can help support your longevity. Thankfully, promoting senior health and wellness does not have to be costly since many communities provide free health resources for seniors.
Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) were created to provide support and resources for seniors in each county of Alabama. The Jefferson County area is served by the United Way AAA, and they operate a number of senior centers throughout the county. Any Jefferson County resident that is age 60 or older may access their programs at no cost. Some of their free offerings for senior health and wellness include:
- Tai Chi classes to ease arthritis symptoms and improve balance to reduce falls
- A Walk With Ease program to promote walking for wellness, which can be done on your own or as part of a group
- A Nutrition Counseling program with a registered dietitian who specializes in senior nutrition
- An Elderly Nutrition Program (ENP) to provide nutritious meals to seniors in a setting that promotes socialization
- Meals on Wheels programs to help support the nutritional needs of seniors who are homebound
Health Resources for Seniors That Assist With Medicare
As you age, seeing your doctor regularly for routine exams and checkups is more important than ever. This type of preventative care can help prevent and manage health problems in the future. Some seniors do not keep up with regular doctor visits due to the cost or other mitigating circumstances, like lack of transportation. There are some free community resources for seniors that can help address both of these issues:
- The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) can help Medicare recipients understand their health care plan and make the most of their coverage. SHIP can also help you make an appeal if payment for services is denied.
- Senior transportation services are offered through Medicaid, the Travelers Aid Society of Birmingham, and other local organizations to help you get to doctor’s appointments.
Community Resources for Seniors’ Mental Wellness
The Senior Talk-Line is provided by the Crisis Center of Birmingham and gives seniors, their caregivers, and their families free access to counselors by phone. Seniors can speak with a counselor almost daily to discuss any topics of interest. This program is designed to reduce the social isolation that can lead to depression or anxiety in many seniors.
SeniorSmart: Connecting You With the Best Health Resources for Seniors
At SeniorSmart, we understand that you need to be more mindful of your spending when living on a fixed income. Senior health and wellness is one area of life you do not want to skimp on, but with free community resources for seniors, you can stay healthy and happy without breaking the bank. Members who enroll in our concierge-level services enjoy personalized recommendations for the best free resources in their area. Give us a call today at 833.303.0983 to get started with all the benefits our membership offers.