Seniors and their families need to be prepared for the big decisions that come up later in life, such as preferences for long-term care, designating power of attorney, and drawing up a living will. This is where an elder law attorney will be able to help.
At SeniorSmart, we realize that navigating the legal issues that arise in retirement can be daunting. Members who opt into our concierge-level services can enjoy customized elder law resources. Call us today at 833.303.0983 to find out how we can connect you with the right elder law attorney.
What Is an Elder Law Attorney?
You may be wondering what makes an elder law attorney different from other kinds of attorneys and why you would need one. When you are navigating new issues that arise when you enter into retirement, it can put your mind at ease to have a lawyer on your side who specializes in the needs of seniors.
Some elder law issues that an elder law attorney can assist with are:
- Curating a plan for your long-term care – It is best to come up with these plans as early as you can so you can share your senior living preferences in the event that you require a higher level of care.
- Putting a durable power of attorney in place – Determining whom you trust to handle your financial and personal affairs when you are no longer able is essential.
- Advocating for your financial and healthcare benefits – In some cases, you may run into issues receiving the benefits to which you are entitled. An elder law attorney can help you secure Social Security, Medicaid, and any other government resources you qualify for.
- Drafting a living will – It is highly recommended that you do this to avoid family conflicts down the road after you have passed.
- Protecting your financial assets – Having an attorney looking out for your hard-earned nest egg can protect you from financial exploitation.
How Can You Find an Elder Law Attorney?
When you are looking to hire an elder law attorney, it helps to get referrals in your area. Here are some ideas for finding the elder law attorney that is right for you:
- Ask friends or family for referrals if they or someone they know has found an elder law attorney they trust.
- If your senior living community offers resources to residents, you may want to check in with them for elder law resources and recommendations.
- SeniorSmart can provide you with the tools you need to locate reputable local elder law attorneys. Reach out to our team today to learn more.
What if You Can Not Afford to Hire an Elder Law Attorney?
The National Senior Citizens Law Center is a non-profit organization created to assist low-income seniors with elder law issues without the high price tag. The NSCLC will advocate for your benefits, services, and support to ensure that you receive what you are entitled to for your health and safety in retirement. Check out their website to find out more about how they can help seniors on a tight budget get the benefits they deserve.
SeniorSmart Can Help You Find the Right Elder Law Attorney
Being a SeniorSmart member means having access to our monthly online magazine filled with helpful information for older adults, including retirement and estate planning. While this can help prepare you with a wealth of knowledge, you can enjoy even more customized assistance when you subscribe to our concierge services. If you are considering finding an elder law attorney to help you plan and prepare for elder law issues, we can guide you. Call us today at 833.303.0983 to learn more about how our concierge services can help you obtain the legal assistance you need.